This is a new weekly post that I’m doing where I will briefly talk about five songs that are new or newish that I’m absolutely digging and that I think you should dig too! So with without further ado here is my ‘Friday Five’ …
• Marshmello x Bastille // “Happier” – First I am massively obsessed with Bastille and their songwriting, music, and everything. My favorite band. End of story. But about Marshmello I got into him recently his music just lifts up my spirits because it’s got a happy sound to it and fun. So I think the track encompasses all of this.
• Karine Polwart // Ophelia – She’s a relatively new artistic or at least to me. But her voice is soaring and just so darn beautiful on this socio-political track harkens back to folk music early days. It’s simple but not simplistic in the least. And with her being the “BBC Folk Singer Of The Year” it only means bigger things are coming for this artist.
• Allie X // Science – This fun, breezy and quite sexy 80s tinged electro-pop jam has me wanting to take late night drives out on PCH with my lover too. Too bad I don’t have one. But that’s the essence of Allie’s songwriting it puts you right into her story. That’s her Science, that’s what I love.
• Twenty-One Pilots // Levitate – I love every they released so far. Levitate is no exception. Super stoked for TRENCH. The storyline, the videos, the music, and the lyrics is just so fascinating and clever. Very few bands today make me this excited.
• Benta // Like A Star – This caught me off guard on beautiful it was and how sexy. So much that I didn’t catch it was a cover of the Corrine Bailey Ray classic. But it’s a lovely rendition of it. Nice electronic elements refresh the singer-songwriter jam making it fit in quite well for today’s world and tastes. Definitely a cool surprise on my Release Radar today.
Other tracks worth noting for me: Nina Nesbitt // Loyal to Me, Ariana Grande // REM, Bishop Briggs // Baby, You Me At Six // I O U, Maggie Rogers // Give a Little, & Olivia O’Brien // UDK.
Full Spotify Playlist –